I guess you are a proud betta owner and you have every right to be proud of your pet. Betta, also known as Siamese Algae Eater, is an immensely rewarding fish with their glorious presence in your tank.
As a pet owner it is your solemn duty to provide your pet the best possible environment to live in. Bettas are tropical fish and that means they don’t like cold water.
To keep your betta comfortable in the aquarium you should install a heater so that during cold nights it don’t go below certain temperature. In this article I have compiled and reviewed the best heaters for a betta tank. Let’s check out the options we have.
Top 5 Heaters For Betta Fish Tank: Side By Side Comparison
Does Betta Fish Need Heater?
Let me clarify one thing. Let’s say the ideal temperature for a fish is 26 to 28 degree centigrade. If you keep it at constant 25 or 29 degree is that bad? Well it is not the worst thing in the world and certainly your fish can survive. But it is much worse if the temperature goes down to 25 and goes up to 29 frequently.
Fluctuating temperature will get your fish stressed and cause health issues in the long run. Not providing the optimum temperature can also cause health issues.
In lower temperature the betta will eat less, they will have troubles swimming and it may cause their death at some point.
To avoid such scenario you should get a heater for your betta tank and make sure the heater has some sort of thermostat feature. Otherwise the temperature rise could be uncontrolled or you will need to connect an external thermostat with your heater to maintain the optimum temperature.
The most common and ideal size of a betta tank is 5 gallons and for such a size a heater with 25~50 watts is sufficient enough.
To keep your betta healthy and thriving it is recommended to get a good heater.
Ideal Temperature for Betta Fish Tank
Being a tropical fish Betta likes warm water. To ensure you pet’s health, the temperature should never go down below 74° Fahrenheit (~23.5° Celsius). And ideally you need to maintain the temperature between 78° to 80° F (25.5° and 26.5° C).
So along with the heater you would need a precision thermometer to keep an eye on the tank water temperature. Though most of the heaters come with a built-in thermometer it is always safe and recommended to install another piece of thermometer to check and calibrate the heater’s one.
To be in the safe side you can select a heater which would never increase the temperature above the tolerable range of your Betta fish.
Best Betta Tank Heater Reviews
1. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat
- All Tetra HT heaters have indicator lights to let you know when the heater is on. It will be red when heating and green when the proper temperature has been reached..All Tetra HT Heaters will shut off if an electrical short is detected for your safety.
- The HT10 uses a built in electronic theromstat to automatically maintain water at 78° F which is ideal for most tropical fish. No adjustment is requried.
- Ideal for aquariums between 2 to 10 gallons with hoods or glass canopies
- The HT heater is fully submersbile and can be installed vertically or horizontally. It's small footprint makes it easy to conceal behind plants or other décor.
- Please read all label information upon delivery. DO NOT plug heater into an electrical outlet until it is placed inside the aquarium.
2. FREESEA Aquarium Fish Tank Submersible Heater with LED Temperature Display
- FREESEA Aquarium Heater: 50w betta fish heater, voltage: 110~120V, is suitable for use in 1-10 gal betta fish turtle tanks and aquariums. The power cord is 5ft, long enough for indoor use
- Double Safety Protection: When the top part of the turtle tank heater is out of water it will auto shut off. When the actual water temperature is higher than 94°F, it will auto activate the overheating protection and stop heating
- External Controller: The betta fish heater is adjusted by an external controller, which you can mount on the outside edge of the tank. It’s convenient to adjust temperature that range from 63℉ to 94℉
- LED Temperature Display: Digital led temperature display shows the real-time temperature and error code on the screen. When the mini aquarium heater is heating, there indicator light above the digit is on red
- 12-month Warranty: We are committed to providing high quality products and better service with a 12-month warranty. If you have any questions about the turtle heater you receive, please feel free to contact us
3. SZELAM 25W Smart Mini Aquarium Heater
- Smart Control- Adopted intelligent circuit board, with a precise temperature sensing probe and constant temperature heating system. No thermometer required, no more operations: Unlike other conventional heaters, need you to manually adjust the temperature. Our Smart Aquarium Heater just plug the power cable then it will work. It works in intermittent operation mode and will automatically turn on/off to achieve the setting temperature constantly and stably, Energy-efficient.
- Easier to Use- SZELAM Mini Heater different from a manually adjusted heater. Our heater automatic temperature regulate on 73ºF-82ºF(25℃-28℃) , no need to set. Prevent electric shock and burns. Keep you and your family safe. Position it near a strong water flow for whole aquarium are in the same temperature. The outlet of filter is ideal.
- High Quality- Made by heat resistant ABS housing, sandy quartz filler and MCH Alumina ceramic heating system, anti explosion & cracking, it is scald-preventing for your pets and safe operation for you, safer and more stable to use.
- Mini Sized- Fully submersible compact betta fish heater Gift with 2PCS Aquarium Decor Artificial Plant. Specific perfect for mini aquarium under 5 gal/20L. SZELAM Mini Heater provide a constant warm for your pet fish to stay healthy, suitable both for fresh and salt water.
- Quality Assurance- This product have certificated by CE, ROHS, FCC certifications. We will provide replacement items for any product problems within 90 days after your purchase it.
4. Boxtech Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Fish Tank Thermostat: 50W aquarium heaters suit for 3-15 Gallon fish tank. Please choose the right wattage aquarium heater according to our size chart
- Temperature Range is 68 ºF-90 ºF, when water temperature achieve the setting temperature, heater will automatically stop heating; when water temperature is lower than the setting temperature, heater will automatically start heating
- Explosion-proof: This fish tank heater is made of heat-resistant, milky white quartz glass and UL listed power cord that is shatterproof and explosion-proof to prevent leakage and lasts 3 years or more
- Installation for Tank Heater: Stick the submersible water heater vertical onto the tank side near the water intake or on the way of water flow.（This way the heater can quickly sense the water temperature and make adjustments automatically）, Keep the aquarium heater fully submerged in water
- Notice: Before you clean the aquarium or change water, pls must cut off the heater power, after 10 minute cooling then take out the heater and regularly clean the scale on the heater
5. Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Fully submersible, auto shut-off when overheats, resets when cools down
- Electronic thermostat stops heating once set temperature is reached
- Precise temperature setting adjustable to 1° F (68-88° F)
- LED light turns on when aquarium water is being heated, automatic safety shut off and overheat protection
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of heater is best for betta fish?
Do Bettas really need a heater?
How can I keep my betta fish warm without a heater?
1. You can keep the ambient temperature warm.
2. Use a room heater so that there is no drastic fall of temperature.
3. Use a hood or canopy and use a powerful light. It will keep the tank water warm.
4. Place the betta tank in a warmer place of your room.
5. Use warm water for water changes
Is a 50w heater too much for a 5 gallon tank?
What size heater do I need for a 1 gallon tank?
What is the ideal temperature for a betta fish?
So from the above models it is your turn to decide which betta tank heater is perfect for you. The purpose is to ensure the optimal environment for you precious betta and have peace of mind. Most of the betta tanks are 5 to 10 gallons of capacity. So, the heaters we discussed should work perfectly.
The best heaters for betta tank will not overheat the water and the built-in thermostat won’t malfunction. However it is wise to have a good thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature or identify any issues beforehand.
Check our extensive guide on betta fish care.