I guess you are a proud betta owner and you have every right to be proud of your pet. Betta, also known as Siamese Algae Eater, is an immensely rewarding fish with their glorious presence in your tank.
As a pet owner it is your solemn duty to provide your pet the best possible environment to live in. Bettas are tropical fish and that means they don’t like cold water.
To keep your betta comfortable in the aquarium you should install a heater so that during cold nights it don’t go below certain temperature. In this article I have compiled and reviewed the best heaters for a betta tank. Let’s check out the options we have.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Heaters For Betta Fish Tank: Side By Side Comparison
- Does Betta Fish Need Heater?
- Ideal Temperature for Betta Fish Tank
- Best Betta Tank Heater Reviews
- Final Words
Top 5 Heaters For Betta Fish Tank: Side By Side Comparison
Does Betta Fish Need Heater?
Let me clarify one thing. Let’s say the ideal temperature for a fish is 26 to 28 degree centigrade. If you keep it at constant 25 or 29 degree is that bad? Well it is not the worst thing in the world and certainly your fish can survive. But it is much worse if the temperature goes down to 25 and goes up to 29 frequently.
Fluctuating temperature will get your fish stressed and cause health issues in the long run. Not providing the optimum temperature can also cause health issues.
In lower temperature the betta will eat less, they will have troubles swimming and it may cause their death at some point.
To avoid such scenario you should get a heater for your betta tank and make sure the heater has some sort of thermostat feature. Otherwise the temperature rise could be uncontrolled or you will need to connect an external thermostat with your heater to maintain the optimum temperature.
The most common and ideal size of a betta tank is 5 gallons and for such a size a heater with 25~50 watts is sufficient enough.
To keep your betta healthy and thriving it is recommended to get a good heater.
Ideal Temperature for Betta Fish Tank
Being a tropical fish Betta likes warm water. To ensure you pet’s health, the temperature should never go down below 74° Fahrenheit (~23.5° Celsius). And ideally you need to maintain the temperature between 78° to 80° F (25.5° and 26.5° C).
So along with the heater you would need a precision thermometer to keep an eye on the tank water temperature. Though most of the heaters come with a built-in thermometer it is always safe and recommended to install another piece of thermometer to check and calibrate the heater’s one.
To be in the safe side you can select a heater which would never increase the temperature above the tolerable range of your Betta fish.
Best Betta Tank Heater Reviews
1. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat
- All Tetra HT heaters have indicator lights to let you know when the heater is on. It will be red when heating and green when the proper temperature has been reached.
- The HT10 uses a built in electronic theromstat to automatically maintain water at 78° F which is ideal for most tropical fish. No adjustment is requried.
- Ideal for aquariums between 2 to 10 gallons with hoods or glass canopies
- The HT heater is fully submersbile and can be installed vertically or horizontally. It's small footprint makes it easy to conceal behind plants or other décor.
- Please read all label information upon delivery. DO NOT plug heater into an electrical outlet until it is placed inside the aquarium.
2. FREESEA Aquarium Fish Tank Submersible Heater with LED Temperature Display
- Temperature range: 59°F~94°F, display Fahrenheit °F, this heater is designed for1~10 gallons tank.
- Automatic constant temperature function, when water temperature reaches to specified temperature value, heater will automatically stop heating, when water temperature is lower than the set temperature, heater will automatically start heating.
- Touch button, cyclic adjust temperature , easy to use and Safety.
- 【Note】:this heater is 100% submersible use only, during its heating time, heater must be 100% submerged into the water.
- 【SATISFACTION GUARANTEED】Gain the confidence to go hard with us! Our Aquarium Heater is built with durability in mind and safety for every design, In the remote possibility that you’re not satisfied with our product, just contact us, and we will gladly give you a new Aquarium Heater replacement. 12 Month Warranty and 24 Hour Professional After-sales Service.
3. SZELAM 25W Smart Mini Aquarium Heater
- Smart Control- Adopted intelligent circuit board, with a precise temperature sensing probe and constant temperature heating system. No thermometer required, no more operations: Unlike other conventional heaters, need you to manually adjust the temperature. Our Smart Aquarium Heater just plug the power cable then it will work. It works in intermittent operation mode and will automatically turn on/off to achieve the setting temperature constantly and stably, Energy-efficient.
- Easier to Use- SZELAM Mini Heater different from a manually adjusted heater. Our heater automatic temperature regulate on 73ºF-82ºF(25℃-28℃) , no need to set. Prevent electric shock and burns. Keep you and your family safe. Position it near a strong water flow for whole aquarium are in the same temperature. The outlet of filter is ideal.
- High Quality- Made by heat resistant ABS housing, sandy quartz filler and MCH Alumina ceramic heating system, anti explosion & cracking, it is scald-preventing for your pets and safe operation for you, safer and more stable to use.
- Mini Sized- Fully submersible compact betta fish heater Gift with 2PCS Aquarium Decor Artificial Plant. Specific perfect for mini aquarium under 5 gal/20L. SZELAM Mini Heater provide a constant warm for your pet fish to stay healthy, suitable both for fresh and salt water.
- Quality Assurance- This product have certificated by CE, ROHS, FCC certifications. We provide 1 year quality assurance for this product, we will provide replacement items for any product problems within 1 year after your purchase it.
4. Boxtech Submersible Aquarium Heater
- 【Pls Notice】Before you clean the aquarium or change water, pls must cut off the heater power, after 10 minute cooling then take out the heater.
- 【For 5 - 15 Gallon Fish Tank】Boxtech 50W aquarium heaters suit for 5 - 15 Gallon fish tank. Voltage:110V, power cord is 4.59ft, please choose the right wattage aquarium heater according to your tank size.
- 【Temperature Control】Design with External Temperature Controller, Temperature Range is 20℃ -32℃(68ºF-90ºF), when water temperature achieve the setting temperature, heater will automatically stop heating, when water temperature is lower than the setting temperature, heater will automatically start heating.
- 【Maximum depth】Submersible Aquarium Heater Max deep water immersion 50CM(20 inch/1.7 FT).Fahrenheit degrees =1.8 * Celsius degrees +32. Safety Protection: Made of heat-resistant milky quartz Glass and UL-Approved Power Cord, Controller IPX4, Heater IPX8 that make it pretty shatter-proof and Explosion-proof and prevents electricity leakage. It is more safety for your love fish.
- 【Submersible in water fully】Stick the heater horizontally onto the tank side near the water intake or on the way of water flow. Keep the aquarium heater fully submerged in water.
5. Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Precise temperature setting to 1-degree F (68-88 degrees F)
- Recommended for aquariums up to 20 Gallons
- Fully submersible, quartz glass shatter-resistant construction
- UL Approved, Automatic safety shut off and overheat protection
- Power indicator light turns on when aquarium water is being heated
So from the above models it is your turn to decide which betta tank heater is perfect for you. The purpose is to ensure the optimal environment for you precious betta and have peace of mind. Most of the betta tanks are 5 to 10 gallons of capacity. So, the heaters we discussed should work perfectly.
The best heaters for betta tank will not overheat the water and the built-in thermostat won’t malfunction. However it is wise to have a good thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature or identify any issues beforehand.