I guess you are a proud betta owner and you have every right to be proud of your pet. Betta, also known as Siamese Algae Eater, is an immensely rewarding fish with their glorious presence in your tank.
As a pet owner it is your solemn duty to provide your pet the best possible environment to live in. Bettas are tropical fish and that means they don’t like cold water.
To keep your betta comfortable in the aquarium you should install a heater so that during cold nights it don’t go below certain temperature. In this article I have compiled and reviewed the best heaters for a betta tank. Let’s check out the options we have.
Top 5 Heaters For Betta Fish Tank: Side By Side Comparison
Does Betta Fish Need Heater?
Let me clarify one thing. Let’s say the ideal temperature for a fish is 26 to 28 degree centigrade. If you keep it at constant 25 or 29 degree is that bad? Well it is not the worst thing in the world and certainly your fish can survive. But it is much worse if the temperature goes down to 25 and goes up to 29 frequently.
Fluctuating temperature will get your fish stressed and cause health issues in the long run. Not providing the optimum temperature can also cause health issues.
In lower temperature the betta will eat less, they will have troubles swimming and it may cause their death at some point.
To avoid such scenario you should get a heater for your betta tank and make sure the heater has some sort of thermostat feature. Otherwise the temperature rise could be uncontrolled or you will need to connect an external thermostat with your heater to maintain the optimum temperature.
The most common and ideal size of a betta tank is 5 gallons and for such a size a heater with 25~50 watts is sufficient enough.
To keep your betta healthy and thriving it is recommended to get a good heater.
Ideal Temperature for Betta Fish Tank
Being a tropical fish Betta likes warm water. To ensure you pet’s health, the temperature should never go down below 74° Fahrenheit (~23.5° Celsius). And ideally you need to maintain the temperature between 78° to 80° F (25.5° and 26.5° C).
So along with the heater you would need a precision thermometer to keep an eye on the tank water temperature. Though most of the heaters come with a built-in thermometer it is always safe and recommended to install another piece of thermometer to check and calibrate the heater’s one.
To be in the safe side you can select a heater which would never increase the temperature above the tolerable range of your Betta fish.
Best Betta Tank Heater Reviews
1. Tetra HT Submersible Aquarium Heater With Electronic Thermostat
- All Tetra HT heaters have indicator lights to let you know when the heater is on. It will be red when heating and green when the proper temperature has been reached.
- The HT10 uses a built in electronic theromstat to automatically maintain water at 78° F which is ideal for most tropical fish. No adjustment is requried.
- Ideal for aquariums between 2 to 10 gallons with hoods or glass canopies
- The HT heater is fully submersbile and can be installed vertically or horizontally. It's small footprint makes it easy to conceal behind plants or other décor.
- Please read all label information upon delivery. DO NOT plug heater into an electrical outlet until it is placed inside the aquarium.
2. FREESEA Aquarium Fish Tank Submersible Heater with LED Temperature Display
- ★ Temperature range: 59°F~94°F, display Fahrenheit °F, this heater is designed for1~10 gallons tank.
- ★ Automatic constant temperature function, when water temperature reaches to specified temperature value, heater will automatically stop heating, when water temperature is lower than the set temperature, heater will automatically start heating.
- ★ Touch button, cyclic adjust temperature , easy to use and Safety.
- ★【Note】:this heater is 100% submersible use only, during its heating time, heater must be 100% submerged into the water.
- ★【SATISFACTION GUARANTEED】Gain the confidence to go hard with us! Our Aquarium Heater is built with durability in mind and safety for every design, In the remote possibility that you’re not satisfied with our product, just contact us, and we will gladly give you a new Aquarium Heater replacement. 12 Month Warranty and 24 Hour Professional After-sales Service.
3. SZELAM 25W Smart Mini Aquarium Heater
- Smart Control- Adopted intelligent circuit board, with a precise temperature sensing probe and constant temperature heating system. No thermometer required, no more operations: Unlike other conventional heaters, need you to manually adjust the temperature. Our Smart Aquarium Heater just plug the power cable then it will work. It works in intermittent operation mode and will automatically turn on/off to achieve the setting temperature constantly and stably, Energy-efficient.
- Easier to Use- SZELAM Mini Heater different from a manually adjusted heater. Our heater automatic temperature regulate on 73ºF-82ºF(25℃-28℃) , no need to set. Prevent electric shock and burns. Keep you and your family safe. Position it near a strong water flow for whole aquarium are in the same temperature. The outlet of filter is ideal.
- High Quality- Made by heat resistant ABS housing, sandy quartz filler and MCH Alumina ceramic heating system, anti explosion & cracking, it is scald-preventing for your pets and safe operation for you, safer and more stable to use.
- Mini Sized- Fully submersible compact betta fish heater Gift with 2PCS Aquarium Decor Artificial Plant. Specific perfect for mini aquarium under 5 gal/20L. SZELAM Mini Heater provide a constant warm for your pet fish to stay healthy, suitable both for fresh and salt water.
- Quality Assurance- This product have certificated by CE, ROHS, FCC certifications. We provide 1 year quality assurance for this product, we will provide replacement items for any product problems within 90 days after your purchase it.
4. Boxtech Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Fish Tank Thermostat: 50W aquarium heaters suit for 5-15 Gallon fish tank. Voltage:110V, Power cord is 4.59ft, Max deep water immersion 20 inch/1.7 FT
- Fully Automatic Control: Design with External Temperature Controller, Temperature Range is 68 ºF-90 ºF, when water temperature achieve the setting temperature, heater will automatically stop heating, when water temperature is lower than the setting temperature, heater will automatically start heating
- Quartz Tube Safety Protection: Made of heat-resistant milky quartz Glass and UL-Approved Power Cord, Controller IPX4, Heater IPX8 that make it pretty shatter-proof and Explosion-proof and prevents electricity leakage, service life can be 3 years or more
- Correct installation: Stick the heater vertical onto the tank side near the water intake or on the way of water flow.（This way the heater can quickly sense the water temperature and make adjustments automatically）, Keep the aquarium heater fully submerged in water
- Notice Please: Before you clean the aquarium or change water, pls must cut off the heater power, after 10 minute cooling then take out the heater and regularly clean the scale on the heater
5. Aqueon Submersible Aquarium Heater
- Fully submersible, auto shut-off when overheats, resets when cools down
- Electronic thermostat stops heating once set temperature is reached
- Precise temperature setting adjustable to 1° F (68-88° F)
- LED light turns on when aquarium water is being heated, automatic safety shut off and overheat protection
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of heater is best for betta fish?
A submersible heater with protective cover should be perfect for betta fish. Most of the heaters have built-in thermostat to protect the aquarium from over heating. As a safety precaution you should use another precision thermometer to check the tank temperature.
Do Bettas really need a heater?
Betta is a tropical fish and and it doesn’t do good in cold water. So if you live in the colder region a heater is a must for your betta fish.
How can I keep my betta fish warm without a heater?
There are several ways to keep betta warm without a heater –
1. You can keep the ambient temperature warm.
2. Use a room heater so that there is no drastic fall of temperature.
3. Use a hood or canopy and use a powerful light. It will keep the tank water warm.
4. Place the betta tank in a warmer place of your room.
5. Use warm water for water changes
Is a 50w heater too much for a 5 gallon tank?
For a 5 gallon tank a 25 watt heater is enough. However, if you use a 50w heater it will heat the tank water much faster. Keep an eye on your thermometer and use a reliable thermostat and you are good to go.
What size heater do I need for a 1 gallon tank?
First of all, 1 gallon tank is no way sufficient to house your betta fish. At least get a 2.5 gallon tank, 5 gallon is the ideal one. Regarding the heating part, there is rule of thum- you need 5 watts of heating for 1 gallon of water.
What is the ideal temperature for a betta fish?
Ideal temperature for betta fish is between 78° to 80° F (25.5° and 26.5° C). That’s a pretty narrow range. However betta can tolerate between 72-86º F (22-30º C).
So from the above models it is your turn to decide which betta tank heater is perfect for you. The purpose is to ensure the optimal environment for you precious betta and have peace of mind. Most of the betta tanks are 5 to 10 gallons of capacity. So, the heaters we discussed should work perfectly.
The best heaters for betta tank will not overheat the water and the built-in thermostat won’t malfunction. However it is wise to have a good thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature or identify any issues beforehand.
Check our extensive guide on betta fish care.
Table of Contents
- Top 5 Heaters For Betta Fish Tank: Side By Side Comparison
- Does Betta Fish Need Heater?
- Ideal Temperature for Betta Fish Tank
- Best Betta Tank Heater Reviews
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Words