Glasses and silicone sealant bond together and build beautiful aquariums. You may not have noticed the silicone because it dries away.
Silicone is the main ingredient which holds the glasses together. Not only for building aquariums, silicone sealants come in handy for many other purposes.
Glasses are not everlasting. You will eventually encounter a hole and leak in the glasses.
At that point, the only thing that can help you is silicone. With this semi-liquid adhesive, you can easily block the holes and repair leakages.
Getting the best aquarium silicone is always a good investment for your fishes and aquariums.
If you go with a cheap, low-quality silicone for your tank, then it can put the lives of you fishes at risk. It may contain harmful chemicals which your fishes won’t be able to bear.
So, in this article, I am going to help you buy the best silicone for aquarium within a limited budget.
Let’s get started!
Best Aquarium Safe Silicone: Our Top Picks
5 Best Aquarium Silicone Reviews
1. Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant – Best Silicone For Precise Gluing
- Use for sealing or repairing door frames, windows, vents, toys, appliances, gaskets, weather-stripping, outside of fireplace doors, shoes and boots
- Bonds ABS, glass, ceramic, porcelain, wood, aluminum, stainless steel, cultured marble, fiberglass, granite, vinyl tile, some rubbers and plastics
- Aquarium safe
- No cracking, peeling or shrinking
- 2. 7 oz.
Loctite clear is a waterproof silicone with multitasking ability. It has the capability to seal your aquarium glass cracks correctly. Besides, you can also use it to close the leakage of your tubing. People are also using this silicone to repair different types of household items.
The main features of this silicone are mentioned below:
- Temperature Resistance: Thirty percent of the total world population is living under extreme weather. It is sometimes like a deep freeze or like a burning ball. Many qualified products may lose their potential at that period. Loctite has developed this product by keeping all these in mind. They have made it a pressure taker of all unwanted weather hazard.
- Waterproof: Your aquarium glass may face crack from inside or outside pressure. If you decided to seal the crack with silicone, then you should make sure that it is waterproof. Because eventually if it can’t save itself from the water than it is useless. Loctite Silicone is fully waterproof so it can protect itself from water and your aquarium at the same time.
- Impact Resistant: Repairing is worth doing if it lasts for a long time. No one likes to do it again and again. The break down usually happens from a massive impact on the sealing. The sealing can’t take the pressure and loss the grip. But as this aquarium silicone is fully impact resistant, you have nothing to worry about.
- It is a multitasking sealant
- Suitable for extreme weather
- It can resist heavy shocks
- Fully waterproof and bad weather boss
- If your aquarium is larger than 30 gallons, then it is not recommended to use this silicone.
2. Aqueon – Best Silicone For Building Glass Aquariums
- Waterproof seal stops leaks
- Permanently flexible; does not crack or shrink
- Easy to apply long-lasting bond
- 100% Non-toxic silicone for use on freshwater or saltwater aquariums
- Clear silicone color - also available in black silicone
Aqueon is a trusted company around the globe. They manufacture different types of aquarium products and silicone sealant is one of them. If you are a beginner, then this silicone is the one you should start with. It is very easy to apply.
Here are its features:
- Permanently Flexible: Its flexibility makes it a perfect choice for your aquarium. Not only in the aquarium, you can also use it in your other household products. The flexibility of the sealant is permanent which offers you a long lasting service.
- Non-toxic: Toxic elements are harmful to your fishes. They face health risks when they come in contact with this type of elements. Usually, the toxic elements react with your aquarium water and make it harmful for the fishes. Keeping this in mind, Aqueon makes the sealant toxic-free. It is completely safe for your fishes.
- Waterproof: Well, Aqueon silicone sealant is also waterproof. It can make your aquarium watertight. After repairing the damages of your aquarium, you can quickly put water into it. The water can’t reduce the workability of the sealant.
- Easy to apply
- The sealant is entirely safe for your fishes
- Doesn’t contain any toxic elements
- It is fully impervious to water
- The sealant is also sufficiently flexible
- Some customers complained that the tube burst suddenly while using
3. ASI Clear Aquarium Silicone Sealant
- Container size: 10.2 Oz. This high modulus component RTV Silicone Sealant forms strong cohesive bonds to glass without the need of primers
- The bonds are unaffected by continuous immersion in water and, when fully cured, is non-toxic to fish
- ASI Aquarium Silicone Sealant is a non-slump sealant and can be applied to vertical surfaces without flowing or sagging
- Can be applied to surface temperatures from -18°C to +50°C (0°F to +120°F) and after curing, withstands constant operating temperatures from -57°C to +233°C (-70° F to 450°F)
- Formulated for use with fresh and salt-water aquariums or a Vivarium
ASI is the manufacturer company of this clear aquarium silicone sealant. It has the potential to provide you a watertight fish home. The aquarium safe silicone can tolerate heavy pressure from both saltwater and freshwater. It is specially designed for aquarium repairing.
Here are the features that make it worthy to be in our top 5 list:
- RTV Silicone: The main component of the sealant is RTV silicone. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing. Its resistance ability from heat is higher than other available silicones in the market. It can also protect the silicone from chemical reactions.
- Rust-free: Many owners complain about rust development after a certain period of time. This ASI sealant will keep your aquarium away from rust. You don’t even need to add primers. It can protect itself.
- Sticky: Some people find it hard to apply sealant on vertical cracks. This is because most sealants in the market are not sticky enough. The sealant flows and gets misplaced from the actual position. With clear aquarium silicone sealant, you won’t have to face such problems as it is very sticky.
- Suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- You can easily apply the sealant on vertical cracks
- Cured ASI silicone sealant is entirely toxic free and safe for your fishes
- Completely waterproof
- Not safe for fishes until the sealant cures. So, you need to wait until it is fully cured.
4. Aquascape 22010 – best Black aquarium Silicone
Aquascape brings an excellent black silicone sealant for aquarium owners. It is made of RTV. Until now, I have only discussed clear sealants. If you are searching for something different, then you can have a look at this one.
This Aquascape black silicone is great for repairing aquarium cracks. Here are some of its notable features:
- Moisture Protection: As the season changes, the moisture content in the air changes too. Too much moisture can turn out to be a problem for adhesives. The good thing is, this silicone sealant is completely moisture-proof. As a result, it can be used for many other purposes along with fixing aquariums.
- Safe: When you are buying something for your fishes, the first priority should be safety. As the Aquascape black silicone doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals, you can trust it completely.
- It is fully safe for your fishes
- You can attach stone and plants in your aquarium with it
- Made of aquarium safe element
- Completely moisture-proof
- It is not waterproof
- The smell of this silicone sealant can be unsettling
5. Dap Silicone Adhesive Sealant – Best All Purpose Silicone Sealant
- Long lasting 100% silicone rubber helps build and repair aquariums
- Stays flexible
- Won't crack or shrink
- Non-toxic to fresh and saltwater fish when cured
Well, this is the last item in our best aquarium silicone list. Like all the other silicones in the list, Dap all-purpose adhesive sealant also provides high-quality performance. Customers are very satisfied with this product. Not only for aquariums, you can use it for any kind of repairing projects.
Here are some of its features:
- Suitable For Freshwater and Saltwater: According to the properties, some silicones are suitable for only freshwater, some are for saltwater. Dap all-purpose adhesive sealant is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater. So, you can safely use it for any type of aquarium.
- Long-lasting: Repairing the same damage again and again is frustrating. You need something effective to deal with such circumstances. Dap all-purpose adhesive sealant can be an excellent choice because it is sticky enough to hold whatever you want to. You don’t need to worry about the crack ever again. Just use it and forget.
- Odorless: There are many good silicone sealants available in the market but only a handful of them are odorless. They will hold the glasses together, but the smell can be unbearable. You don’t even want to go close to your aquarium so think about your fishes. What are they facing? Dap makes this adhesive sealant odorless so that both you and your fishes can enjoy the aquarium without odor.
- It is watertight
- The sealant is suitable for both saltwater and freshwater
- You can also use it in acrylic aquarium
- Safe for your fishes
- It can stay flexible for an extended period of time
- Some users have an objection about the tube design
How To Choose The Best Silicone For Your Aquarium?
In this section, we are going to discuss what factors are important when you are looking for an aquarium silicone.
For choosing the best aquarium silicone within your budget, keep these factors in mind:
Glass is very different from other materials. You can’t use super glue or other regular adhesives to hold it together.
Even if it holds for some time, it will eventually break down. Silicone is a better choice because it can hold the glass for a longer period.
When searching for a silicone sealant, look for higher adhesiveness. Generally, the more adhesive a silicone is, the better it performs.
The safety of the silicone is, without doubt, one of the most important factors to consider.
There are some silicone sealant in the market that contain chemicals which can be harmful to fishes. So, when looking for a silicone, make sure it doesn’t contain any harmful chemicals.
Look at the labels. See if there are any unknown chemicals. Aquarium safe silicone is crucial for your fish health.
Also, you can look at the customer reviews to check what others have to say about it.
At the end of the day, it is the price that matters most when we are buying something. More price doesn’t necessarily guarantee better quality.
Also, cheap products can sometimes produce a more effective result than the expensive ones. Generally, high-quality products cost more.
So, if you are looking for an aquarium silicone that will last for a long time, you may need to pay some extra bucks.
Frequently Asked Question
Aquarium Silicone Vs Regular Silicone- what is the difference?
None actually; if it is 100% silicone! In some cases regular silicone contains mold/mildew additives, which is harmful for aquatic life. So when you are buying just make sure there is no mold inhibitors in it.
Silicone is silicone- no matter where you buy from. And 100% silicone is always “waterproof” and “aquarium safe silicone”.
What is the use of silicone sealant?
Silicone is an excellent sealant which you can use to repair cracks of your aquarium glasses. This type of adhesive is mostly used for aquarium repairing. They are waterproof and non-toxic.
Besides, silicone sealant is also flexible and durable at the same time. You can also use them for repairing other household items.
How to use silicone sealant on your aquarium?
First, make sure that you have read the instruction guidelines labeled on the tube. It will help you to know how much time the silicone will take to cure. This time is significant for having a long-lasting repairing.
Now, completely empty your aquarium. When you are applying the silicone sealant on broken glass, make sure it is clean. It must only come in contact with the glass, nothing else. Don’t hurry, give it enough time to dry. That’s all.
How to remove silicone sealant from aquarium glass?
Sometimes, you may need to remove silicone sealant from your aquarium glass. If you are a tough guy, you can use your nails to get it off. If you find it a little bit primitive, then you can use a razor blade.
You may find this method hard if you are working with a big aquarium. For large aquariums, you can use a hair dryer to warm up the dried silicone first. After that, you can easily remove aquarium silicone by simply trimming.
We have come to the end of the buying guide. Thank you for reading the whole guide. We have tried to cover every part of the aquarium silicone sealant in this guide. The 5 best aquarium silicone sealants in our list have been chosen after going through lots of research and testing.
From cheap to expensive, clear to black sealant whatever you are looking for, you will find it on the list. Hope the list will come in handy for you.
If you have any more question, do not hesitate to ask us in the comment box below. We’ll get to you as soon as we can!
Table of Contents
- Best Aquarium Safe Silicone: Our Top Picks
- 5 Best Aquarium Silicone Reviews
- How To Choose The Best Silicone For Your Aquarium?
- Frequently Asked Question
- Final Words