Last Updated on July 3, 2020 by Anne Thynne
Don’t jump right in without testing the waters! Aquariums and fish keeping can be very rewarding, but only if you’re doing it right. If you are a know-nothing-at-all kind of beginner or a hobbyist with a tight budget, get something simple and manageable. Something like the Coralife BioCube Aquarium Starter Kit.
It is a small scale aquarium with all the jazzy fixes that will satisfy your fish keeping, minus all the complexities and responsibilities that come with looking after a massive aquarium. But wait a minute.. … . .not so fast!
The convenience is great, we do admit. But will the Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium Starter Kits come through a winner in terms of quality and performance? What makes it different, or better, or worse than the next aquarium starter kit in the store? Well, let’s find out.
Table of Contents
Coralife BioCube 32 Review
Design and Construction
Rember seeing those sleek, modern and elegant looking aquariums in movies? Well, the Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium is just that.. . .but smaller and more manageable. It has beautifully sleek and chic black body held by a transparent fish tank with smoothly curved edges that does not manipulate or change the view. It’s a stunner, no doubt.
This tank comes in 32 gallons capacity which measures 20.2 x 21.9 x 21.5 inches in dimensions. Perfect for setting up inside rooms!
Pump and Filtration System
Speaking of which, the Coralife Fish Tank comes with a submersible pump which is surprisingly quiet and discreet unlike most pumps it its class and price range. Connected to the built-in filtration system, this pump has dual intake along with an adjustable return nozzle. It is also customizable and fairly easy to clean.
As for the filtration system, it has 3 chambers in it: 1 for bacteria and algae growth, 1 for holding the submersible pump and the final chamber for holding the heater and phosphorus-based filtering media.
Getting the temperature right on your aquarium is SOOOOOOOOOOO important. The right temperature means the difference between a lush coral reef with vividly fluttering clown fishes or a dead reef with sick and gloomy aquatic life. Coralife Fish Tank is clearly aware of this.
This aquarium features a temperature control system that allows the user to have maximum control over it. They even included cooling fans inside the system to cool of the water from the heat of the LED lights.
Lighting and Ambience
Speaking of which, the lighting aspect of the Coralife Fish Tank is probably its most prized feature. This tanks comes with a 24-hour timer fixed onto the hood of the aquarium. This timer to used to set up the various different types of LED lighting ambiences in your aquarium for your precious babies.
It has 3 independent channels which include bright white, sparkling blue and color enhancing LEDs. You furthermore get 30 minute sunrise or sunset and 60 minutes of moonrise or moonset. All these lighting action is to establish a sense of realism with real world lighting during different times of the day. It is a great way to keep your aquarium dwellers happy and feeling at home!
Having said that, a little bird.. . .a whole flock actually told us that the lighting system tends to give up after some time. If not that, the timer will change the lights on its own. Definitely a FISHY system.
- Easy to set up
- Offers 24-hour timer with temperature lighting control
- Features several lighting modes
- Low maintenance
- Customizable filtration system
- Beautiful design
- Quiet operation
- Lights have tendency to malfunction
- Tank tends to crack upon impact
How To Set Up Coralife Biocube Aquarium
Extended Versions of Coralife Biocube
Considering public demand and to ease fish keepers life, Coralife has brought two extended version of this aquarium starter kit –
- Complete Saltwater Fish Only Bundle
- Deluxe Complete Reef Package
Let’s take a look at those packages to know what extra you will be getting –
- The Coralife Size 32 LED BioCube Aquarium COMPLETE SALTWATER FISH ONLY PACKAGE combines everything you will need to get your BioCube fish only saltwater aquarium started.
- Included with the Size 32 LED BioCube Aquarium are the: BioCube New & Improved Size 32 Stand, Coralife BioCube Submersible 5W Mini Clarifier, Two Little Fishies THREE-FIFTHS SIZE AccuraSea1 Artificial Saltwater Mix (Approx. 30 gallons), Inland Seas 6 oz Activated Carbon and BioCube Algae Cleaning Magnet.
- Also included are the Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer, Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer, Seachem Prime, 100 ml w/ 50 ml Measuring Cup, Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 250 ml, Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Saltwater Master Test Kit and AquaTop 5" Fish Net, Fine Mesh Netting.
- This Coralife Size 32 BioCube Aquarium Ultimate Reef Bundle combines almost everything you will need to get your BioCube started, plus some key upgrades: the IceCap ATO (auto top off) and Hydor Aqamai WiFi Controllable Wavemaker Pump.
- Included with the Size 32 LED BioCube Aquarium are the: BioCube Stand; BioCube Protein Skimmer; IceCap ATO (auto top off); Hydor Aqamai WiFi Controllable Wavemaker Pump; Coralife Digital Aquarium Thermometer; CaribSea Seafloor Special Grade Reef Sand, 12 pounds; Two Little Fishies AccuraSea1 Artificial Saltwater Mix, 30 gallons (5 bags only).
- Also included are Egg Crate, Black Styrene, 15" x 11.5"; Inland Seas 6 oz Activated Carbon; Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Reef Master Test Kit; Two Little Fishies Aquastik Aquarium Epoxy Putty, Red, 2 oz; BioCube Algae Cleaning Magnet; Coralife Deep Six Hydrometer; Brightwell Aquatics MicroBacter7 250 ml; Inland Seas 6 oz Activated Carbon; and Seachem PhosGuard, 100 ml, bagged.
- The included Stand is the NEW AND IMPROVED BIOCUBE STAND. This NEW & IMPROVED VERSION features a solid back panel for added stability. No glue is required.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- I’d like to buy a Coralife fish tank for my son. But is there a smaller size? Something he could sincerely take care of?
Answer: That’s a great way to incorporate hobby with responsibility, we think. For your son, you could dodge the size 32 of the Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium Starter Kits and go for the immediate smaller size which is the size 16 or 16 gallon-er. It has all the same benefits and features, but for a smaller tank.
- Do I have to buy a heater for the Coralife Fish Tank or is it included? If not, what heater should I get?
Answer: Heater is not included in the purchase of a Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium Starter Kits so yeah, you will need to buy one separately for yourself. As for the power of the heater, we think 150 watt should do fine for a tank that size.
- What is the flow rate of the pump on the Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium?
Answer: Good question. The flow rate on the factory assembled pump, as per the company’s information, is 264 GPH.
- What is the material of tank made of?
Answer: We are pretty sure it is glass, and not acrylic. Clean, clear and absolutely sharp. The curved edges do not distort either. We like it!
- What is the dimensions of the size 16 Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium?
Answer: The dimensions of the size 16 Coralife tank 15 inches in length, 16.75 inches in width and 17.5 inches in height.
The Coralife Fish Tank LED BioCube Aquarium Starter Kits is THE way to enjoy and relish the beauty and knowledge of an aquatic system without having to dive to rain money or experience. Although it isn’t anywhere near flawless, we still think its features offer a fabulous combination for beginners. Apart from the beauty and reward aspect of it, it is cheap and fairly capable of meeting your fish keeping standards. Thumbs up!
If you are still looking for further options then check out our massive review of the best nano reef tanks. With this, it’s a wrap! Thank you for staying with us. We are glad we could help and we will be back with more reviews next time. Take care!
You may find this article interesting –
- Exo Terra Sand Mat Review: Desert Terrarium Substrate - October 18, 2020
- How Big Can Goldfish Get: Tips on Growing Your Goldfish Bigger and Faster - October 9, 2020
- Do Cherry Shrimp Need A Filter - October 3, 2020