Thinking about putting a fish tank at your office? Do you want to have an aquarium for your home? The best-sized aquarium fit for both home and office is a 10 gallon fish tank. A 10 gallon aquarium can be perfect for your office and your home as a decent decorative piece. So, if you want to decide what fish tank is accurate for me in size, it’s decided. Now, the real question will emerge. What is the best 10 gallon fish tank?
In today’s market, you can find hundreds of 10 gallon fish tanks. Before buying one, what you should do is judge one brand according to the features it should have. So, you should read the reviews.
As an aquarium lover myself, I know how hard it is to be satisfied with one fish tank. When you have a 5 gallon tank after few days suddenly you will feel an urge to setup a 20 gallon tank. Few days later you may die for setting up a gold fish tank! There are so many awesome fish species that can be kept, right? Well, been there, done that.
But today we are gonna focus on particularly 10 gallon tanks, specially the popular ones and try to decide which one would be best for you.
Which 10 Gallon Fish Tank Is The Best?
Trust me, there nothing more pleasurable than watching your fishes swimming across the tank. And if your tank is big enough for the fishes to swim and small enough to fit everywhere, then you’re golden.
In this article, you will find 5 fish tanks (aquarium kit) listed after the explanatory part. I have chosen these tanks on the basis of the best available features. You can have millions of features in one product. But not all the features are important and necessary, right?
So, I have listed 5 of the best available fish tanks that can hold 10 gallons of water. I’m pretty sure it will be very easy for you to decide which one you will buy.Table could not be displayed.
How to Choose the Best 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit
I know how choosy we can be while deciding which fish tank to buy. But if we take too much time to buy a fish tank, it will take much more time to buy fishes from different types. So, I am writing this review in a way that it will save your time, and you’ll be taking these decisions yourself in future.
The first thing to make sure of is the build quality. Fish tanks are usually made of two materials, glass tanks and acrylic tanks. Acrylic is a transparent material almost like glass but cheaper and less durable.
Glass is on the other hand heavier. The price difference is not much. But you’ll be a bit shocked to know that acrylic tanks are more expensive. Acrylic is cheap as a material though.
Glass made fish tanks are more preferable because they are more durable than acrylic tanks. Glass tanks don’t get scratched and doesn’t leak.
Temperature Control System
Now, most fish tanks come with a temperature control system. But some of the fish tanks have preset temperatures. Those are not suitable for all kinds of fishes. So, it’s better to buy a fish tank where you can set the temperature of the water.
If you wish not to use the heater, it’s okay to buy just any fish tank with more durability.
The fish tanks now come with filters, which keep the water clean and healthy for the fishes. You don’t want to have a dirty pond like environment in your fish tank right? So, the most important part of a fish tank nowadays is the filter. Because fishes usually die due to the unhealthiness of the water.
So, buying a fish tank with a proper filtration system is priority #1. However you can buy a separate filter for your 10 gallon tank. Now, you can surely understand what you have to look for in a 10 gallon fish tank, right? These are the features that a 10 gallon fish tank should have.
Oh yes, one more thing. Fish tanks have lights. Sometimes, the lighting forces the tank to heat up causing damage to the small fishes and those fishes that can’t bear the heat. So, before buying a fish tank do check if the light causes the water to heat or not. If you want to grow plants in your tank then you need to choose the light carefully.
Now, follow the steps above, and you’ll be able to judge before buying a fish tank any time from now on.
The Best 10 Gallon Fish Tank Reviews
1. Marina LED Aquarium Kit – Overall Best 10 Gallon Starter Kit
If you start searching for the best 10 gallon aquarium kit, the name that appears the most is the Marina LED Aquarium Kit. This one is actually the best available one today. It has all the necessary features that an aquarium should have. If you want to create the best environment for your fish, this is the best option you will have.
- Build Quality: The Marina LED aquarium kit is built with high-quality glass. So, there’s no chance of scratches every time you clean it. Also, the glass body makes is more durable than almost any other aquariums of its class. The thickness of the glass helps to keep the water as cold as possible with the water heating system.
- Temperature Control System: This feature is actually a setback, the manufacturers thought that the glass is enough to keep the water condition okay for the fishes. But sometimes, excessive heat due to the sun causes the glass to heat up. Thus damaging the environment for the fishes. So, what you have to do is buy a 50-watt water heating system and install it. Thus you can keep your fishes safe. But, usually, if you have installed the aquarium in a room which is air-conditioned, then you won’t need the heating system.
- Filtration: Being the most important feature, this kit has maintained it. There’s a biological water system which helps to build and promote good bacteria needed for a healthy water environment. Thus fishes living in this tank can enjoy the best environment to live. This feature is usually left off in other aquariums.
- Lights: The name has the word LED. That means the fish tank comes with an LED lighting set up which keeps the aquarium lightened if necessary. The LED lighting doesn’t create extra heat so it’s safe for the fishes.
- Biological Supplement for better fish environment
- LED lighting don’t create unnecessary heat
- Better build quality
- This starter kit includes Fluval Max fish food, Fluval Aqua Plus Water Conditioner & filter cartridge
- Biological water filtration system promotes healthy bacteria growth
- No heating system
2. Aqueon 10 Gal LED Aquarium Kit – Most Popular, Best For Tropical fish Tank
If this is your first fish tank, Aqueon should be your first choice. As a first-timer, you may not know about all the necessary features required for a fish tank. Aqueon can solve that problem. You see, this kit is called the starter kit because it has all the necessary things you need to set up a 10 gallon aquarium.
- Build Quality: The tank is made of clear thick glass and structure walls are sealed with epoxy resin. It gives the tank a long time of durability and you can enjoy this fish tank for many upcoming years easily. Also, the glass is scratch proof and very clear. So, a clear aquarium vibe for a long time.
- Temperature Control System: It has a pre-installed 50-watt water heater with a thermometer. The best part about this heating system is that you don’t have to set your necessary water heating temperature as its pre-set and you can monitor it by the use of the adjusted thermometer. So, it’s a viable heating system. Heating plays an important role for tropical fish.
- Filtration: It has a quiet flow 10 LED Pro power filter with a medium filter cartridge. This filtration system is actually almost as good as the biological supplement. The best part about this filter is that its noise free. Unlike other filters, it does not make any sound and thus the fishes don’t get afraid. There’s an LED light indicator which indicates when the filter s clogged and you need to change it. Thus making the filtration system one of the most viable ones in all fish tanks.
- Lights: Comes with non-heating LED lighting for fishes. Keeping them safe from unwanted heating.
- One of the best filtration system
- Non-heating LED lighting system
- Better build quality with clear glass
- 50W preset heater, premium fish food, water conditioner, fish net, stick-on thermometer included with this starter kit
- Good value for the price
- The preset temperature is not good for all fishes, especially baby fishes.
3. Penn Plax Curved Corner Glass Aquarium Kit
If you want to buy a fish tank that is as unique as yourself, then the Penn Plax curved corner glass tank is the best choice for you. Having the most uncommon curved corner design, it is absolutely eye soothing. We buy aquariums mostly to enjoy ourselves and to show people our love for fishes. So, if you want to show off your aquarium, this is the one you should get for yourself.
- Build Quality: The best feature of this fish tank is the build quality. It’s built with curved glass. Just like any curved smart phone which has a better look than a regular smartphone, it has the same feel. It looks almost 10 times better than the usual aquarium. The design is modern and it has a futuristic appeal. Due to the curved edges, it has been made with high-quality glass to make sure it’s durable.
- Temperature Control System: Penn Plax curved corner glass aquarium doesn’t have any temperature control system. The glass keeps the water quite cool. Also, you can set up a 50-watt heating system.
- Filtration: The Penn Plax cascade 300 internal filter with the cartridge is what the fish tank offers for filtration. The best part about this filter is that it has a higher filtration capacity than other fish tanks. So, you won’t have to worry about the clogging and changing of the filter for a long time. Also, it ensures the longest time of healthiness and cleanliness for your fishes.
- Lights: It has an appealing over the top LED lighting. But the setback here is that the LED light does not shut off unless it is unplugged from the socket. That means it doesn’t have a switch. You could always create alternative wiring for the LED light.
- Higher and longer filtration capacity
- Comes with over the top LED light
- Seamless curved corner glass aquarium design made of durable glass
- Borderless view
- No heating system
- The LED light doesn’t have any switches
- Fish food, thermometer etc. are not included with this starter kit
4. Fluval FLEX Glass Aquarium – Best 10 Gallon Starter Kit for planted tank
The designs of the aquariums are getting awesome by the day. We just came over a seamless curve design. The next on the list has a convexly curved design. The Fluval flex is one of the most innovative looking fish tanks of today. The design of the aquarium is much modernized. Looking at it definitely gives you a very futuristic thought.
- Build Quality: It’s made with curved glass. The Flex has a lot of things to offer from the design. The design offers a bold yet classy look for your office and it literally is an ornamental piece for home improving the posture. Also, the glass is scratching free so no problem cleaning.
- Temperature Control System: It doesn’t have any temperature control system. You can set up a 50-watt heating system if necessary for your fish type.
- Filtration: The back panel filtration system is actually state of the art. It follows a very simple scientific way to keep the water clean and healthy for the fishes. There’s a water pump that flows the water from left to right giving a constant wave-like feel to the fishes. It makes the fish tank as environment-friendly as possible for the fishes.
- Lights: The 7500k LED lid attached light has a remote to be controlled from distance. You can customize and change color if you want and it is very eye soothing.
- Build quality is very eye-catching
- Curved glass tank with stylish look
- Scratch free glass ensures easy cleaning
- The filtration system is quite good
- Remote controlled LED lighting system
- No heating system with this starter kit.
- No fish food included
5. All Glass Aquariums’ Tank and Eco Hood Combo – Best economic 10 gallon Starter Kit
One of the simplest tanks available today is the All Glass Aquarium’s Tank and Eco hood Combo. It made of all glass and has an eco-hood. It has black edges and it’s rectangular in shape. The tank is only suggested because of its build quality
- Build Quality: It’s rectangular in shape and is built with glass. So, it’s scratch free and you can clean it very easily without hesitation. The glass build gives it better sustainability. Most basic fish tank sets are made with acrylic. Thus they are not as durable as this one.
- Usability: Maximum fish tank kits nowadays are very complicated to handle because of all the extra features. Most of the time, you will not need those features if you’re a casual fish lover. So, this fish tank kit is actually usable by even the newest aquarium buyers because of its simplicity. You can definitely buy this for your children if you want them to grow up as an aquarium lover like yourself.
- Size: Most of the 10 gallon fish tanks have a compact size ratio that lies between 16″ or so. But this fish tank has a length of 20″ giving some extra room to the fishes. Despite having the same volume this tank is capable of holding bigger fishes than its competitors. Also, you can have more fishes than usual in the tank. It’s great for starters who want to start with quite a number of fishes.
- Lights: There are two light bulbs attached in the hood. They are quite efficient and do not harm the temperature of the water. So the lighting is very feasible.
- All glass build and scratch proof
- Longer in shape
- Can hold more fishes than other 10 gallon fish tanks
- Looks larger than it actually is, giving it a more premium vibe than its price
- Suitable for children
- Not suitable for delicate fishes due to the lack of additional required parts
How many fish you can keep in a 10 gallon tank?
10 Gallon Starter Kit will give you much more flexibility than a 5 gallon aquarium. But still you cannot keep any types of aquatic animal in it. You need to choose your stock wisely considering the space and fish requirement.
A 10 Gallon Aquarium should be perfect for small, relatively inactive and non-aggressive fish. I will give you a list of fish below along with a number that you can put in your aquarium. For small fish you can remember the “one inch per gallon” rule for stocking.
One more thing you should remember. Don’t mix tropical fish with cold water fish. Also, while selecting tropical fish please consider the fish compatibility chart if you want to keep more than one species.
|Species For A 10 Gallon Tank||Maximum Number of Fish You Can Keep|
|Betta (Siamese Fighting Fish)||1 male or a pair of female|
|Neon Tetra or Cardinal Tetra||10 pcs|
|Pygmy Corydoras||8-12 pcs|
|Guppies or Mollies or Platies||6-8 pcs|
|Dwarf Gourami||1 pc (+5 neon tetras if you want)|
|CRS or RCS Shrimps||Dozens (Start with 10)|
|Kuhli Loaches||4 pcs|
|Celestial Pearl Danio||10-12 pcs|
|Nerite snails||10-15 pcs|
10 Gallon Fish Tank Setup
First you need to select a place to put the aquarium. It shouldn’t be somewhere under direct sunlight. Get the surface leveled and put a rubber mat or foam under the aquarium. Make sure the desk or tale is capable to bear at least 150 pounds weight.
Rinse the kit and equipment carefully, don’t use detergent. Then setup the filter, heater and light. After that fill up the tank. You can use conditioned water. Keep the filter running and don’t put any fish yet!
You need to keep the filter running 24/7 and wait at least 4 weeks to establish the nitrogen cycle in your aquarium to support the bioload of your fish. Get a test kit to test ammonia and nitrite. Make sure the reading is zero before adding a few fish.
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of water filter should I use for a 10 gallon aquarium?
A hang on back model that won’t eat up space inside of the aquarium is something you should look for.
What Aquarium Lights Should You Need For a 10 gallon tank?
It’s important to have a light that mimics both daytime and night conditions. Most of the kits include a light but if you can always buy separately to fulfill your requirements.
Buying a 10 gallon fish tank can be a tricky job. But if you research the features just like me, it’ll get easier to decide which one you will buy. Because you get to compare the features and the price thus knowing which one is the most feasible option for you to go with.
According to the features, the best 10 gallon aquarium for you to buy is the Aqueon 10 Gal LED Aquarium Kit. It’s the standard kit for starters and even for veteran tank owners. The tank has a nice look and offers the maximum number of features available in its price. The added pro power filter ensures a cleaner and healthier environment for your fishes. You’ll also get a water heater along with a thermometer with the tank. Considering all, this is the best budget friendly 10 gallon tank for any beginner!
Happy fish keeping!
Table of Contents
- Which 10 Gallon Fish Tank Is The Best?
- How to Choose the Best 10 Gallon Aquarium Kit
- The Best 10 Gallon Fish Tank Reviews
- 1. Marina LED Aquarium Kit – Overall Best 10 Gallon Starter Kit
- 2. Aqueon 10 Gal LED Aquarium Kit – Most Popular, Best For Tropical fish Tank
- 3. Penn Plax Curved Corner Glass Aquarium Kit
- 4. Fluval FLEX Glass Aquarium – Best 10 Gallon Starter Kit for planted tank
- 5. All Glass Aquariums’ Tank and Eco Hood Combo – Best economic 10 gallon Starter Kit
- How many fish you can keep in a 10 gallon tank?
- 10 Gallon Fish Tank Setup
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Thought