From my personal experience, JARDLI Aquarium CO2 Regulator performs the best as a Carbon dioxide regulator for a planted tank. To know more about it and also about some good alternatives read the rest of this article.
Plants need CO2, good light and nutrients to prepare their food and maintain healthy growth. Injected CO2 in a planted tank boosts plant growth and help you to achieve dense carpet as well as lush colorful plants. There are 3 parts of a CO2 system –
- CO2 cylinder
- Regulator (with solenoid)
And this guide has been designed for such reason to make you familiar with the best aquarium CO2 regulators with their technical specs by which they efficiently carry out this task.
As the name suggests, the main function of this device is to regulate the appropriate amount of CO2 pressure that should flow inside your aquarium.
You see, the plants only get carbon dioxide when your fish exhales it on the water. But this amount isn’t sufficient for your water plants in order to keep and maintain their natural growth. In this case, a CO2 regulator is highly recommended for your aquarium.
As carbon dioxide is only beneficial for your aquarium plants other than the living fish, it’s always better to keep the pressure within a reasonable PSI so as to keep both your fish and plants healthy.
Otherwise, it may even end up killing your fish if the pressure isn’t reasonable enough. We’ll learn about this shortly in the second half of this guide.
Now, we will learn about five of the best CO2 regulators that are available in today’s market. There will also be a buyer’s guide along with some FAQs to make the whole buying process easier for you.
So let’s get started.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best Aquarium CO2 Regulators Reviewed
- How to Get the Best CO2 Regulator for Your Aquarium
- How to Install a CO2 Regulator inside Your Fish Tank
- Final Words
5 Best Aquarium CO2 Regulators Reviewed
1. JARDLI CO2 Aquarium Regulator
The JARDLI CO2 regulator can be a perfect choice if you own an aquarium up to 400 gallons of water. The body of the regulator is made from high-quality aluminum and has a stainless steel finish to make it durable for long time use. The pressure is completely adjustable which makes it completely flexible to use. Let’s learn about all the features offered by this regulator:
- Capacity: This powerful regulator can read up to 70 PSI of pressure that is suitable for all small to large size aquariums out there. Besides, the regulator is best-suited for aquariums up to 400 gallons of water.
- Core Functionality: The regulator is powered by a Solenoid Valve that allows it to silently operate inside your aquarium. In addition, the valve is also energy efficient and has the ability to keep the device cool during the operation. This ensures an overall CO2 regulation inside your aquarium and thoroughly helps to keep your fish & plants healthy for a long period.
- Body Material: The JARDLI is made from high-quality aluminum material that ensures its durability and the stainless steel body enables it to efficiently perform for a long time.
- Compatibility: This regulator is compatible with most CO2 tanks that cover all full size, disposable & paintball cartridges in the market.
- Unique Features: You can easily adjust the pressure or output from the regulator which makes the device completely flexible to use.
- Can read up to 70 PSI
- Features Solenoid Valve
- High-quality aluminum body
- Compatible with most CO2 tanks
- Energy efficient
- Doesn’t come with CO2 tank
2. MOD Complete Aquarium CO2 Regulator
The MOD is a dual-gauge regulator that is ideal for all small to large size aquariums. Besides, the device is compatible with most CO2 atomizers and diffusers in the market. If you want to provide your aquarium with the appropriate amount of CO2 at different times, this regulator can be the perfect option for you. Here are all the features offered by this regulator:
- Capacity: This powerful regulator can produce from 150 to 2000 PSI inside your fish tank. This strong capability enables the device to efficiently perform in any mid to large size aquarium.
- Core Functionality: The regulator has a dual gauge feature that enables you to accurately read & observe the pressure inside your aquarium. In addition, the powerful construction of this regulator has been designed in a way to supply the appropriate amount of CO2 as per different time requirements.
- Body Material: The regulator has been made from high-quality stainless steel which ensures its durability and longevity.
- Compatibility: The MOD CO2 is compatible with most CO2 atomizers and diffusers in the market.
- Unique Features: The regulator comes with a Dual display feature that allows you to accurately read the settings and ensure whether the right amount of pressure is supplying across your aquarium.
- Can read between 150-2000 PSI
- Dual gauge feature
- Stainless steel body
- Dual display meter
- Compatible with most CO2 diffusers
- The solenoid can get noisy after some time
3. Up Aqua CO2 Regulator
- Adjustable Working Presssure
- With Decompress Pressure Valve
- CGA320 Connector
- Heavy Duty Brass Construction
The Up Aqua is a powerful CO2 regulator that can provide a constant and adjustable pressure inside your fish tank. The regulator is completely dual gauge and requires few settings to efficiently operate its functions. Let’s explore all the features offered by this particular:
- Capacity: The Up Aqua can produce over 150 PSI pressure inside your aquarium. Besides, this device is ideal for all small to large aquariums that requires constant CO2 supply for the living fish and plants.
- Core Functionality: This regulator has the ability to provide adjustable pressure inside your aquarium without providing it with any sophisticated settings up front. Besides, the regulator is dual-gauge and comes with a decompress pressure valve to ensure whether the appropriate amount of pressure is supplying inside your fish tank on demand.
- Body Material: The combination of high-quality brass and durable plastic removes the concern of fragility of the body and ensures the longevity of the regulator.
- Unique Features: The regulator is powered by a dual display PSI meter to show you the appropriate amount of pressure that is currently producing throughout your aquarium.
- Can produce over 150 PSI
- Dual-gauge function
- Decompress pressure valve
- Brass Construction
- Dual display PSI meter
- Parts look a bit cheaper than the price
4. VIVOSUN Hydroponics CO2 Regulator
- DURABLE MATERIAL: Long-lasting durable brass components that will function for many years without rusting
- SPECIFICATIONS: 1.58" high pressure gauge: 0-4000 PSI. Flowmeter: 0-15 scfh. Inlet connection: cga-320
- APPLICATION: Perfect for indoor grow rooms, grow tents, green houses, and hydroponics to enhance the amount of carbon dioxide to the growing environment and speed up growth rates and yields by up to 40%.
- COMPONENTS :A precision regulator, flow gauge, and industrial solenoid valve, 5 meters free plastic dispensing tubing and USA standard 3-prong plug (Hose tail suit for 4.2 mm inside diameter hose. )
- MULTIPLE OPTIONS: This CO2 Regulator will allow you to maintain ideal CO2 levels for optimal growth
The VIVOSUN is a powerful CO2 regulator which is ideal for all large size aquarium owners and has the amazing ability to produce up to 4000 psi inside any aquarium. The solenoid valve with flow adjustment function makes it flexible to use over any fish tank. Let’s learn about all the features offered by this regulator:
- Capacity: The VIVOSUN has the ability to produce up to 4000 PSI inside your aquarium which is an ideal choice for any small or large aquarium owners.
- Core Functionality: This regulator is powered by a gauge that can provide the appropriate amount of pressure inside your fish tank & efficiently supply carbon dioxide for the living plants. Besides, the solenoid valve ensures a proficient operation of the regulator.
- Body Material: The high-quality brass constructions of the VIVOSUN ensure its durability and longevity for long time use.
- Additional Accessories: You’ll also get a bubble counter, a needle valve & a check valve with the regulator. Not-to-mention, you’ll get 5 meters of plastic tubing and a grounded power cord with the regulator.
- Unique Features: The regulator comes with a flow adjustment function and a flow meter to monitor the exact current pressure inside your aquarium.
- Can produce up to 4000 PSI
- Solenoid valve
- Brass Construction
- Bubble counter with two valves
- Real-time Flowmeter
- A bit noisy in operation
5. Red Sea Fish Pharm Aquarium CO2 System
- It has introduce an exciting new CO2 system for planted aquariums
- The Pro system is a complete, efficient and user-friendly system to maintain a desired level of CO2 in planted aquariums from 10 to 125-gallon
- Includes reactor 500, CO2 regulator, high precision in-line needle valve, bubble counter with integrated check valve
- Also includes real time CO2 monitor and 3 meters of CO2 tubing
If you need a dual gauge regulator that can efficiently supply carbon dioxide on any aquarium up to 125 gallons of water, this device can be the perfect option for you. The pressure is completely adjustable and you’ll have real-time monitors to observe the current pressure inside your aquarium. Let’s explore all the features offered by this particular:
- Capacity: The Red Sea is ideal for all small to mid-size aquariums those consist up to 125 gallons of water.
- Core Functionality: The Red Sea comes with a dual gauge reading feature that allows you to monitor whether the accurate amount of pressure is supplying inside your aquarium. Not-to-mention, the system is so user-friendly that you can effortlessly set up the desired amount of CO2 to be pressurized inside your aquarium.
- Body Material: The regulator has been made from high-quality plastic material which ensures its durability.
- Unique Features: The Red Sea also comes with real-time monitors to show you the current CO2 pressure going inside your aquarium. This notifies you all the time whether the regulator is providing the appropriate amount of pressure on demand.
- Suitable for aquariums up to 125 gallons
- Dual gauge Function
- Durable plastic body
- Real-time monitors
- Relatively expensive than others
How to Get the Best CO2 Regulator for Your Aquarium
Now, you’ve got an extensive idea about the technical details of some of the best CO2 regulators in the market.
But there are still some things to consider before choosing the right CO2 regulator for your fish tank.
Now, we’ll learn about all the crucial aspects that you must know in order to choose the best CO2 regulator for your aquarium.
The flexibility of use
Most of the CO2 regulators come with an adjustable function to change the settings as per the nature and condition of your fish tank. As we already know, it’s extremely crucial for you to keep the regulator pressure within a reasonable rate in order to keep both your fish and plants healthy. So you have to make sure whether the regulator comes with an adjustable and fine-tuning function in order to change the settings when necessary.
Now, you should definitely use a regulator where you can transparently read the gauge number. It is highly recommended from our side as without knowing about the accurate gauge number, you won’t be able to know whether the current pressure is reasonable for your fish tank.
Your regulator should have the compatibility to use on different cylinder tanks and diffusers. This will allow you to use the regulator on multiple fish tanks without concerning about changing the cylinder tank.
The body material of your regulator is extremely crucial in order to ensure the longevity and durability of the regulator. If you have gone through our top-rated list of best CO2 regulators, you’ll see some of them have brass construction on the body and most of them are made from high-quality aluminum & durable plastic which ensure their efficiency over long time use.
How to Install a CO2 Regulator inside Your Fish Tank
Most CO2 regulators are very easy to install and do come with an instructional manual for your convenience. Before installing the regulator, you should arrange all the parts with the CO2 tank and diffuser from where you’ll supply carbon dioxide through the regulator. Now, let’s learn about the steps to effectively install a CO2 regulator with your aquarium:
- Firstly, attach the CO2 tank with your regulator. Most of the CO2 regulators are compatible with all kinds of CO2 tanks and doesn’t require any additional connector to attach it with the regulator which is an added advantage for you.
- Next, attach a needle or check valve with the regulator and tube it with a bubble counter.
- Afterward, tube the bubble counter with a diffuser which has been put inside the constant circulation area of your aquarium.
- Finally, put a drop checker on the assembly line with the help of a suction container. This device will notify you about the accurate CO2 concentration inside your aquarium by converting its indicator liquid into different colors.
We believe our guide has been helpful for you to get a comprehensive idea about the importance of keeping a CO2 regulator with your aquarium.
Besides, we have also provided you with the technical details of some of the best aquarium CO2 regulators that are currently available in the market.
In addition, the “buyer guide” along with the installation manual would be helpful for your overall “buying to installation” process.
Thanks for reading the whole post. Stay tuned with us for more info-guides like this. We appreciate your support.